Portfolio Tag: Chicago

HENRY B. “WIDOW” CLARK HOUSE

The Henry B. “Widow” Clarke House is Chicago’s oldest surviving structure. It is a Greek Revival structure built circa 1836. Around 1871, it was moved from its original location to a lot six miles to the south. In 1977 the City of Chicago purchased it and relocated the house to a site in the Prairie…
Read more

GLESSNER HOUSE

The Glessner House was designed by renowned architect, H.H. Richardson and was built on Prairie Avenue in 1886. After years of neglect, the house was saved from demolition by a group that included Mr. Wilbert Hasbrouck. HPZS provided restoration, planning and design and construction services throughout the various stages of the restoration.
Read more

IIT COMMONS BUILDING – HABS

As part of a long-term modernization strategy, IIT expanded it’s student center building, known as the Commons Building. Designed by Mies van der Rohe and built in 1952 it provided food service and commercial amenities for University students and faculty. HPZS performed a level-two HABS/HAER documentation and recordation of the Commons Building and adjacent gas…
Read more

SAINT EDMUND PARISH

Saint Edmund Church was dedicated in 1910 and is the oldest surviving Catholic Church on the west side of the Chicago Archdiocese. HPZS guided the church through the renovation and restoration process to restore the building’s original art, architecture, and beauty that was compromised by earlier remodeling programs, as well as developed a master plan…
Read more

Prairie Avenue Bookshop

Founded by HPZS’s Wilbert Hasbrouck and his wife Marilyn, the Bookshop was originally located in the Prairie Avenue Historic District, later on South Dearborn Street in Printers Row, and finally moved to Wabash Avenue across the Street from Auditorium Theater. Closed in 2009, the Bookshop served the Chicago and world architectural community for over 30…
Read more

PALMER HOUSE HILTON

The 25-story Palmer House Hilton is one of Chicago’s historic grand hotels, located in the downtown Loop district. It was designed by the architectural firm of Holabird & Roche, and was completed in phases between 1923 and 1925. The building is clad in brick, limestone and terra cotta with a significant amount of ornamental trim.…
Read more