Portfolio Category: On the Boards

Yannell Residence

HPZS has been commissioned to renovate an existing residence to meet Passive House Institute US (PHIUS+) standards, as part of a first-of-it’s-kind speculative low-energy renovation project in Chicago. While most homes built to PHIUS standards are for private homeowners, the client in this case is looking to create a precedent for speculative sustainable homebuilding in the Midwest.…
Read more

South Shore Cultural Center

The South Shore Cultural Center, designed by Marshall and Fox Architects, encompasses the building and grounds of the former South Shore Country Club on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood. Built in 1905, it Historic Places. HPZS is currently designing a restoration of the outdoor theater promenade to include accessible access,…
Read more

Dearborn Homes

Constructed in 1948, the Dearborn Homes Development is comprised of 16 mid-rise buildings containing 800 dwelling units on 16 acres of land. The complex is part of the CHA’s Plan for Transformation, which included complete renovation of all 16 buildings resulting in 656 dwellings. HPZS created a plan for the rehabilitation of all buildings, including…
Read more

The Powhatan Apartments

Designed by Architects, Charles Morgan and Robert De Golyer, The Powhatan is an explicit example of the Art Deco movement and marked the change to upscale apartment living in the late 1920s.  The exterior is clad in Indiana limestone and terra cotta.  Ornamental spandrels and wildlife motives portray a colorful relationship between the building and the lakefront parks…
Read more

PALMER HOUSE HILTON

The 25-story Palmer House Hilton is one of Chicago’s historic grand hotels, located in the downtown Loop district. It was designed by the architectural firm of Holabird & Roche, and was completed in phases between 1923 and 1925. The building is clad in brick, limestone and terra cotta with a significant amount of ornamental trim.…
Read more

THE MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY

The Museum of Science and Industry is an icon on Chicago's lakefront, and a landmark building originally constructed as the Palace of Fine Arts for the World's Fair in 1893. HPZS has lead a variety of projects since 1988, including master planning for MSI 2000, replacement of the copper roofs and restoration of the bronze…
Read more