Portfolio Tag: Preservation

GOODMAN RESIDENCE

This 15,000 square foot residence, designed by Architect Fritz Foltz (Treat & Foltz) was built for the Goodman family in 1892. The interior finishes represent the best design and materials available through the Goodman family owned lumber business. The structure was adapted for use as a military academy in the 1940’s and was returned to…
Read more

HENRY B. “WIDOW” CLARK HOUSE

The Henry B. “Widow” Clarke House is Chicago’s oldest surviving structure. It is a Greek Revival structure built circa 1836. Around 1871, it was moved from its original location to a lot six miles to the south. In 1977 the City of Chicago purchased it and relocated the house to a site in the Prairie…
Read more

GLESSNER HOUSE

The Glessner House was designed by renowned architect, H.H. Richardson and was built on Prairie Avenue in 1886. After years of neglect, the house was saved from demolition by a group that included Mr. Wilbert Hasbrouck. HPZS provided restoration, planning and design and construction services throughout the various stages of the restoration.
Read more

ITT COMMONS BUILDING – HABS

As part of a long-term modernization strategy, IIT expanded it’s student center building, known as the Commons Building. Designed by Mies van der Rohe and built in 1952 it provided food service and commercial amenities for University students and faculty. HPZS performed a level-two HABS/HAER documentation and recordation of the Commons Building and adjacent gas…
Read more

SAINT EDMUND PARISH

Saint Edmund Church was dedicated in 1910 and is the oldest surviving Catholic Church on the west side of the Chicago Archdiocese. HPZS guided the church through the renovation and restoration process to restore the building’s original art, architecture, and beauty that was compromised by earlier remodeling programs, as well as developed a master plan…
Read more

VEHE FARM

The fifteen acre Vehe Farm site is one of the two centennial farm sites in Lake County, Illinois. The Vehe Farm complex consists of seven historically significant structures that, prior to their purchase by the Village of Deer Park in 1999, remained in the Vehe family farm through four generations. The Vehe Farm has been…
Read more