Portfolio Category: Institutional

HENRY B. “WIDOW” CLARK HOUSE

The Henry B. “Widow” Clarke House is Chicago’s oldest surviving structure. It is a Greek Revival structure built circa 1836. Around 1871, it was moved from its original location to a lot six miles to the south. In 1977 the City of Chicago purchased it and relocated the house to a site in the Prairie...

Read more

ITT COMMONS BUILDING – HABS

As part of a long-term modernization strategy, IIT expanded it’s student center building, known as the Commons Building. Designed by Mies van der Rohe and built in 1952 it provided food service and commercial amenities for University students and faculty.

HPZS performed a level-two HABS/HAER documentation and recordation of the Commons Building and adjacent gas station...

Read more

VEHE FARM

The fifteen acre Vehe Farm site is one of the two centennial farm sites in Lake County, Illinois. The Vehe Farm complex consists of seven historically significant structures that, prior to their purchase by the Village of Deer Park in 1999, remained in the Vehe family farm through four generations.

The Vehe Farm has been preserved...

Read more

Altgeld Hall

Altgeld Hall, the first building constructed at Northern Illinois University, was designed by Architect Charles E. Brusk and completed in 1898. Throughout its 100-year plus life it has served as a dormitory, classrooms, auditorium, library and offices.

HPZS provided an in-depth examination of the structure followed by the development of a program to rectify building defects,...

Read more

Grand Traverse County Courthouse

The Grand Traverse County Courthouse was originally constructed in 1889 to house both governmental and judicial functions for Grand Traverse County.

HPZS reviewed the feasibility of rehabilitating the Courthouse to accommodate contemporary judicial activities and preserve a local and state landmark. Historical detail ornament was restored, courtroom organization was modernized, and a comprehensive life safety and...

Read more

South Shore Cultural Center

The South Shore Cultural Center, designed by Marshall and Fox Architects, encompasses the building and grounds of the former South Shore Country Club on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood. Built in 1905, it Historic Places.

HPZS is currently designing a restoration of the outdoor theater promenade to include accessible access, a...

Read more