Portfolio Category: Historic Preservation

The People’s Savings Bank

The People‚Äôs Savings Bank of Cedar Rapids was designed in 1911 by Louis H. Sullivan. It received immediate widespread critical acclaim. During the next forty years it served admirably as a bank building with little change to its design. Following World War Two, many renovations were made to the bank to allow for expansion. Major…
Read more

Dubuque Shot Tower

The Dubuque Shot Tower is one of the few remaining structures constructed to mill lead shot. It was constructed in 1856 along the banks of the Mississippi River to take advantage of its location near the lead mining areas in nearby Illinois and Wisconsin, and was operated as a shot tower until 1859. The structure…
Read more

The Rookery

The Rookery, completed in 1888, was designed and constructed by the eminent Chicago Firm of Burnham & Root. The public spaces of the interior were remodeled by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1905. The Rookery is both a National Historic Landmark and a Chicago Historic Landmark. HPZS's Comprehensive Restoration Plan included the entirety of the exterior…
Read more

Dearborn Station

The Dearborn Street Station, designed by Cyrush Eidlitz, was completed in 1886. It is a Chicago Landmark structure, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it is the only surviving nineteenth railroad station in Chicago. The scope of the project involved restoration and adaptive reuse of the existing building and construction of an…
Read more

Dana Thomas House

The Dana Thomas House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, was constructed in 1905 for Susan Lawrence Dana, a leading figure in Springfield Society. As restored by HPZS the house is one of the largest, most elaborate, and complete of Wright's houses, maintaining most of the original Wright designed furniture and art glass. HPZS was awarded…
Read more