Portfolio Category: Historic Preservation

South Shore Cultural Center

The South Shore Cultural Center, designed by Marshall and Fox Architects, encompasses the building and grounds of the former South Shore Country Club on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood. Built in 1905, it Historic Places. HPZS is currently designing a restoration of the outdoor theater promenade to include accessible access,…
Read more

Pullman Artspace

When Chicago’s historic Pullman neighborhood received National Landmark status in 2015, Pullman Artspace, LLC, in partnership with the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation, sponsored a phased competition for the design of an artist’s live/work space incorporating new construction connecting two original Pullman buildings located at either end of an otherwise empty block. HPZS, as part of…
Read more

999 North Lake Shore Drive

Designed by architect Benjamin Marshall and completed in 1912, this brick and limestone 10 story, 25 unit cooperatively owned apartment building located in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood has been a prominent part of the Streeterville lakefront for over 100 years. As the building architect, HPZS was contracted to review renovation plans for individual unit owners…
Read more

CHICAGO THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY

The Chicago Theological Seminary, founded in 1855, currently occupies a building complex located on the University of Chicago campus that was constructed in 1928. HPZS was retained to restore the 188-foot high Victor Lawson bell towner, and performed deferred maintenance audits for the entire seminary building complex including the president’s residence and several student residence…
Read more

ATLANTA MARRIOTT RESIDENCE INN

The twenty-one story Downtown Atlanta Marriott Residence Inn Building is a National Historic Landmark and was originally constructed as an office building. For a quarter of a century after it’s construction in 1929, it was the tallest building in Atlanta. HPZS was retained to inspect the exterior enclosure systems of the building and develop a…
Read more

ANTRIM COUNTY COURTHOUSE

The Antrim County Courthouse was completed in November 1905. Local architect, Jens Peterson, designed the Courthouse following the popular Richardsonian Romanesque style found in many Midwestern county courthouses. The Courthouse was given a prominent style, impressive massing, and incorporated handsome, high quality materials. HPZS conducted a comprehensive survey of the building, documented existing conditions, analyzed…
Read more